C0LOUREDLIGHTS

My photo
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
I'm Caoimhe, this is my blog on makeup and stuff. Email me on c0loured.lights23@gmail.com

Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Lipstick Jungle

Bahahaha, excuse the title, but thought it was apt for a post on my 9 newest lip colours!

I used to avoid lipstick, at the risk of looking too 'done' in my makeup, and used to just rely on the classic Chanel Rouge Allure in No. 14 Passion and a beautiful hot pink YSL which unfortunately the number has come off! Both applied meticulously and precisely with a brush, I kind of figured quality over quantity, and mostly just wore nondescript glosses in the daytime.

In the past few months though I've been trying to play around with the colours I choose, and how I apply them. There are simply beautiful shades within the cheaper highstreet brands so I no longer need to go high end for lipsticks... well very occasionally at least!

Recently I've picked up a beautiful range of shades that I think are perfect for summer, so thought I'd share!

The first thing I'll talk about is actually my Sleek Pout Polish - I thought these had been strictly in their limited edition collections and hadn't been that keen on the recent orange one, so I was DELIGHTED to see a whole range in Superdrug last Monday! My sister had got the red on in the Valentine's collection (the name escapes me) and hadn't stopped raving about it putting her Mac Lip Conditioner to shame, so I picked up one in Powder Pink.



I love, love, LOVE this! SPF 15 and cost less than £5 (£4.49 or something I think, v reasonable) and one of the best lip colours I've tried in a long time! It's a much brighter pink in real life, as is the swatch. It felt so good to apply, and the colour lasted for hours. Definitely a repurchase, can't wait to try the other colours!

These are the other eight (eeeeeeeek!) lipsticks I've accumulated in the past couple of weeks. Obviously, before applying lipstick it's best to make sure your lips are in good condition, and are nice and soft. I use a Lisa Eldridge tip of dipping a cotton bud into Vaseline (not too much) and pushing it along your lips with a fair amount of pressure - exfoliating and moisturising them in one fell swoop!




Top row L-R:
1. Rimmel No.006 Pink Blush // 2. Collection 2000 No.2 Pink Shock // 3. Barry M No. 100 // 4. Revlon No. 457 Wild Orchid

Bottom row L-R:

5. No. 7 Wild Volume No. 15 Forever Cherry // 6. Rimmel No. 620 Coral Queen // 7. Sleek MakeUP No. 771 Babydoll (sheen) //  8. Sleek MakeUP No. 783 Mystic (matte)


There are all such beautiful shades and - with the exception of the Barry M 100, which is slightly too chalky and streaky - apply beautifully.

1. I bought this Rimmel one before I had the guts to go crazy bright and buy Mac's Saint Germain, which I didn't include as it wasn't a highstreet brand and I keep mentioning it anyway. A really nice lipstick for daytime, especially with my Juicy Tube in Peche over the top. As a side note, Peche works well over all lighter lipsticks, love it.

2. I don't normally look at Collection 2000 as I normally just thought it was a brand for teenagers, but the consistency and colour of this is outstanding, brilliant for day or night wear.

3. My only Barry M lippy and frankly a slight disappointment - I included it as I loved the colour which is a very pale, blue based pink, the same colour as candy floss. I am persevering with it by trying insane lip prep, a gloss over the top etc. Everyone else loves Barry M lipsticks, so I'm determined to love this because it's a great colour, I love light lipsticks with dark hair.

4. This Revlon shade is HOT! Has a very subtle sheen and lots of blue notes, even a slight blue shine. Great for nights out, and is similar to a Barry M lipstick that Lisa Eldridge recommended for a modern take on the pinup look in her video but has more shine and is nice and moisturising which is why I got it.

5. This No. 7 one might be my favourite! I dab this on my lips for a bitten look, so it looks more like a stain, which is great for work where I can't look too made up. The name is perfect; it's an adorable cherry colour and the most wearable red I'd come across.

6. This Rimmel coral was the lipstick I got to go with this skirt. Best applied with a brush I think over prepped lips.  This is exactly the colour to go with all the coral bits and pieces in the shops right now.

7 & 8. I picked up these two Sleek ones just the other day, so they haven't had their outings just yet but I really couldn't leave them out. I had seen these reviewed on a few blogs and at the moment they're two for £6 in Superdrug! My mum got 2 and even though I was abstaining I couldn't help but follow suit. Babydoll appealed to me as it's bright like Mac Saint Germain but warmer with peachy tones - perfect for daytime wear in the sunshine and better to include in a more natural look. Mystic is like a matte version of the Revlon Wild Orchid, but can be dabbed on like a stain too.

I love all of these lipsticks as they are all so affordable and of good quality. The range of colours available for under £10 is wonderful, so if you are crazy like me, you're able to splash out on different ones and play about a bit. Most of the time if you want a real colour pop you need to go high end, but that really isn't the case these days, at least with lipsticks.

Has anyone else picked up any great lipsticks recently? Anything I should get looking at?

I hope everyone is having a great week. I need to start revising for my final exams (was meant to today, but the lipsticks called!) but I have a few posts planned which I'll no doubt get done as my exams approach in the name of some good honest procrastination. If you aren't plagued by exams like me, I hope your part of the world is getting some of this lovely weather!

lipstick kisses,

-Caoimhe.lights xxx

1 comment:

  1. Sleek Pout Polish looks gorgeous im going to get this one...thanks for the review:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Let me know if you have a blog too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...